Last update: June 5, 2019 (2019 Problem Statement Posted)
Today’s high tech office environment calls for sophisticated solutions for analyzing and presenting business data. This unique event integrates database (Access), spreadsheet (Excel), presentation (PowerPoint), and word processing (Word) skills to create an end to end data management and presentation solution using the world's most widely used office productivity software suite.
Teams may be made up of 1-2 people.
Thursday, April 4, 2019, 6:30 - 10:30 PM
Skills and Resources
Successful teams will demonstrate creative thinking to solve business problems and an in depth knowledge of the MS Office suite. In each of the four applications, contestants should be able to:
- Format text/margins/pages.
- Insert and modify clip art.
- Integrate information from other MS Office applications into Word.
- Creatively write/edit documents.
- Format Excel worksheets based on instructions.
- Create formulas, including nested formulas.
- Use the built-in functions of Excel.
- Use the security features of Excel to protect workbook/worksheet/selected information.
- Create/modify/format different types of charts.
- Organize an Excel workbook.
- Create and modify PowerPoint presentations.
- Use the basic rules of creating a PowerPoint presentation .
- Add animation and automate the presentation options in a PowerPoint presentation.
- Determine the proper design of a database and make decisions on how many tables must be used for the database to meet its minimum requirements and how those tables are related to one another.
- Import data into the database from either Excel or a text file.
- Create forms based on specifications provided during contest.
- Create queries that will return both static information and calculated values.
- Create reports that meet formatting specifications, data retrieval specifications, and calculated values.
Teams will be given the problem statement at the beginning of the contest time. Time will be allowed to read the problem statement and ask any questions in a common session. Once the question & answer time has closed, no further questions will be answered. Each team will submit their solution for judging prior to the contest closing time, at which point no further submissions will be accepted.